Hi guys! so I know I’m a little late on posting this review but you know what they say, It’s better late than never. I was initially reluctant to write this blog post because I knew it was going to be short but I decided to share it anyway because y’all just needed to read about my experience.
Nearly a month ago, my sisters and I decided to go on a last minute vacation (we called it Eid-cation lol) because it was just about two days before Eid celebrations. So, because we took the trip to cool off, I promised myself I wouldn’t be doing any work, business, blog & content related things. However, deep down I knew the foodie in me won’t let that happen but hey! at least I tried right?
Krispy Kreme was the final icing on top my perfect Eid-cation. It was conveniently located at the departure hall of the Murtala Muhammed Aiport Lagos (MMA2) Ikeja. Before getting to the full details of the delicious doughnuts I’d like to first of all applaud Krispy Kreme’s customer service because it was super efficient. There’ll be more details on this at the bottom of the post.
First of all it might help to know that in Nigeria Krispy Kreme shops can only be found in Lagos. They have about 4-5 outlets around the city. However I have heard from a little birdie that they’ll finally be opening an outlet for the people of the buj’ (Abuja).
Now, let’s talk doughnuts! They have about 3 variant sizes of doughnuts(from what I saw). The regular sized doughnuts, mini doughnuts and doughnut holes. The regular sized doughnuts cost NGN600 each and NGN3,400 for half a dozen. The mini doughnuts cost NGN4,200 for a box of 16 doughnuts. It is also worthy to note that asides from doughnuts, they also sell hot and cold beverages which I couldn’t try unfortunately because they weren’t available at the time. There are also a couple of Krispy Kreme merch available at the store.
I ordered half a dozen doughnuts (NGN3,400) with the following combinations ;
- Coconut ring – This was an automatically instinctive selection. Anytime I order doughnuts from a new place, I always go for coconut flavour because I feel like you can’t go wrong with it. I was right because it was delicious! It was the first I tried and I couldn’t believe it. It was so rich, extremely soft, like really really soft because it felt like I was biting into foam. The coconut shavings were a great + because it made everything just perfect.
- Crunchy peanut butter – The crunchy peanut butter doughnut was really yummy. It was all round peanut. Definitely not for someone with a peanut allergy but I loved it. It was different and quite frankly my first time ever trying out a peanut butter doughnut.
- Original glazed – I couldn’t leave Krispy kreme without trying the world famous original glazed crispy kreme doughnut. I mean, it’s the reason they are famous. Well now I know why, it’s SPECTACULAR. I honestly do not know how to give a detailed description of it but its just great. Really sweet as well. I loved it.
- Orignal oreo – Oreo lover for life! Yeah, that’s me! It was my favourite doughnut out of the box. It had a nice and creamy Oreo filling in it so when you take a bite, it unveils delicious Oreo cream. It also had broken Oreo pieces on the top which added a nice delicious crunch to the doughnut.
- Red velvet cake – This was honestly my sister’s choice. She totally loved it but I on the other hand wasn’t really a big fan of it. It was nice but just not for me.
- Strawberry cheese cake – The strawberry cheesecake was just as delicious as the rest of the doughnuts. Just like the Oreo doughnut, it had a cream filling but it was strawberry based this time around. It didn’t have a very pronounced/harsh strawberry taste which didn’t really turn out badly because the doughnut was yummy regardless.
To be very honest with you all, going into Krispy kreme I went in prepared for disappointment. This is because I’ve read countless reviews and blog posts on how their doughnuts are just diabetes waiting to happen. I expected the doughnuts to be all sugar and no quality at all. To my surprise I actually really enjoyed it. It was a quite sweet but not in a distasteful way. If you’re a sweet tooth like me you’d definitely enjoy it. If you’re not that into sugar I would advice you go for the coconut ring, red velvet cake or crunchy peanut butter flavours. But one thing is for sure, they really do sell the most quality doughnuts I have ever tried and I am really really looking forward to their store opening here in Abuja, hopefully I get an exclusive launch invite…lol.
Thanks for reading…..Xoxo